Wednesday 5 May 2010

Warning, Swearing Ensues!

So I held out this many days, I'm quite proud of myself.

The driving here is appalling.  From the first time I stepped into a car (literally within a couple of hours of being here) I knew the driving here was terrible.  I didn't want to pre-judge everyone however, and am glad to say that my boss can drive pretty decently.  (I'm not just saying that, she's the best driver I've seen so far, She won't ever read this, so it's not simply a bum-kissing exercise... Ok stop looking at me with those accusing eyes!)

Anyway.  The drivers here pretty much ignore red lights at their whim.  I wish I were joking about that.  The Korean reliance on technology has also had an unexpected side-effect, their digital world extends to the accelerating and braking aspects of driving here too.  Drivers are either 100% throttle bound, or 100% braking; there is no middle ground.  You can get whiplash without ever having an accident here.  It's not an isolated phenomenon either.  Some people drive like that in England, but not everyone.

There are some serious bum-clenching, avert yon eyes moments in just going to the shops.

And on being a pedestrian I can say this: (this is where the swearing comes in)

If you see a car coming, you get the fuck out of the way.  Even if you're on the pavement you step a foot away from the road.  Crossing the road isn't actually too bad.  I spoke to one american who likened it to a feeding time frenzy at the zoo, and cars most definitely have right of way; but it's similar to rush-hour London in that it's every man for himself.  Don't bother waiting for the green light, just go - blinkers on and get marching.

I've been told that Korea has the highest pedestrian mortality rate in any first world country, and that really would not surprise me.  Especially considering that most of the roads don't have permanent pavements.  Just like Japan, the streets are a free-roaming area.  Unlike Japan however, there are no laws governing who goes where.

Or maybe I have it totally wrong.  Maybe there is a code, so complicated that I've not deciphered it yet.  Like an ant-trail, with returning worker ants on the inside, outgoing ants on the outside, and the cyclists dipping between all lanes.

Oh and for those of you with an atlas (or google)  I think I live in a place called Okpo.  I'm definitely not sure about that though.

And a double Oh, for anyone who remembers Pocari Sweat from Japan, they have that here too.  Epic.

2 comments:

  1. okpo is right there in Geoje so I reckon you're right - get a map up here and point out your apartment and street etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But more importantly, do they have Calpis?!!!

    ReplyDelete