Wednesday 12 May 2010

Basketball, and the Art of Not Falling Over

Basketball is quite good fun; if you're with friends, are playing non-competitively and don't mind being terrible at something.

It's kind of like bowling, in that you can practice one specific action one hundred times, and only hit it perfectly five times; all the while thinking, 'hold on a second, I did it exactly like this last time, why didn't I get it right?'  It's extremely frustrating, and when you only get a basket once every ten minutes you question why you're playing in the first place.

The reason, in case you're wondering, why I play in the first place, is fitness. It's exceptionally challenging, especially when everyone else is so much better than you are.  Everyone else runs half as much as you, (and incidentally - pockets twice as many points) while somehow making you run in circles.  I'm not really sure how it works, but the upshot is that an hour of basketball leaves you high and dry, wrung out etc.

It's definitely good for general all-round fitness, and when we finally get to play some american football, I'm going to be ready.  For what?  I'm not sure yet, but I'll be ready nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. don't you have the advantage of comparative tallness though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all foreigners and americans, so I'm not the tallest by any stretch. They all fall over a little too easily for my liking.

    ReplyDelete