Sunday 30 May 2010

So It's Come to This...

So I have to explain some internet terminology first. (In my own style)

Flamewar - When two competing sides of an internet debate (see: argument) get so inerged in the fantastically insignificant details of a petty (or sometimes not so petty) argument; that virtual blood is spilt.  For a brilliant example of this (in the sense of it being archetypal flamewar material - not in the sense of this ludicrous behaviour being brilliant, because, quite frankly, reading any forum for more than five minutes gestates suicidal thoughts within me) see any 'mac vs PC,' 'debate.'  Obviously the PC is better, so I don't know why everyone is so worked up over such a thing.

Secondly, another brilliant example would be the five yearly console war, between Nintendo fans, Sony fans and recently, Microsoft fans.  (What, people actually support Microsoft in one of their endeavours?  Perish the thought.)  People literally cry when a new console is announced.  Most fanboys cry twice.  Once when their company announces an amazing new console; and once again when the enemy announces theirs.  The astute will notice a glaring mistake, three's a company right?

In this case, the three companies in question are usually divided by: Most loved.  (Cue tears.)  Most hated.  (Cue tears of rage.)  And the 'meh,' category.  Time for another definition:

Fanboy - Someone so blinded by their irrational love of _________ , that they cannot see the virtues of competing products, or in some cases, anything else at all.

All this arose from a couple of comments on my previous post about what to do with a broken bone.  I maintain that you don't ice breaks, but let's get the flamewar started!

So my internet geekology lessons aside, what else is happening?

Well I'm glad you asked Sam, because I get paid tomorrow.  For the last four days I've been living on the meagre contents of my fridge.  This meant eggs every day (usually more than one.  How unhealthy is that?  Seriously I need that question answering) with leaves of some description, onion, garlic (contrary to popular belief you can never have too much garlic, and it makes everything taste better) rice, bread, butter, some spreadable cheese and water...

All I can say is, I hope vitamin pills do work.

Joking aside, four days of living a terrible diet isn't too bad.  As far as is humanly estimable, every other person on the planet orders takeaway four or five nights a week, and that's unhealthy.  That's unhealthy in more ways than I can describe in a lifetime.  And as mentioned, vitamin pills are surely good for you.  In the future all our meals will be consumed in pill form, so I'm merely working ahead of everyone else...

So this weekend was a complete scrub.  I did some marking, went to the gym for an hour, (it's amazing how much a crippled finger can destroy plans) and that was it.  The rest of the time I phoned home, slept and was hungry.  It was absolutely, fundamentally the correct decision to bring my ps3 with me, exactly for weekends such as this.  Unfortunately I don't have the right cables for it.

It's 1AM here, and I'm really not sleeping well.  The problem of having nothing to do, is that you think.  Thinking can only take two forms, invariably these are thinking about the past; or thinking about the future.  One is littered with stupidities, oddities and mistakes; the other is scattered with the possibility of mistakes, stupidities and oddities.  Which to choose from?  It's a tough decision; so tough that I wish I had enough money for beer, a well enough finger that I could go to the gym and wear myself out, or a working playstation.  Remember, these things exist for this very reason:  Living life in the now is hard.

Just for this weekend, I really wish I'd had an 'opt-out,' button.

1 comment:

  1. Oh come on, let's get... what is it?... the flamewar going ;)

    I wish one can press ctrl z from past mistakes...

    ReplyDelete