Thursday 27 May 2010

Ow Ow Ow Or: What a Day Version Two.

So I broke my finger playing basketball.  No I haven't been to the hospital, I just know.  As a result this post is going to be short, and inaccurate.  Sorry.

I'm slowly getting better at this basketball stuff, but it'll be several years until I'm competitive.  Still no news on the american football.  I'm starting to hunger for a sport where you can actually use your whole body, I want something more dynamic.

My boss left a little care package of croissant and other bread on my door.  It's unbelievably sweet of her, and the little smiley face post-it note on top is the proverbial icing.  Friday tomorrow.  Maybe some gym legwork, stay away from the hands; maybe I'll push the boat out and do some running, although I don't want to get too adventurous.

That will do for now.

Bye bye.

8 comments:

  1. not again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never ice a suspected broken bone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes you can and you should. Hey, I've just done my first aid update a few weeks ago! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Sam on this one - you shouldn't ice a break because it may prevent healing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright! If it's the "suspected" broken bone, there'll be soft tissue damage on the injured area. You would definitely ice it. If your bone break in half, smashed into bits, poking out of your skin, it's beyond icing it. And it's "obvious" that you break the bone. You'd have seen the doctor by now because they have better equipments to deal with it than what you have at home.

    Then again we talk about a finger here, not a thigh bone, skull, ribs, etc.

    And also you should ice within 72 hours of damaging it. When you injure parts of your body the blood will flow there. It's the matter of degree. We just stick to a finger injured from playing basketball with "suspected" break. The ice will reduce the swelling because it will stop the blood flow to the area. After 72 hours, the blood stops flowing into it. If there's deposit of blood then, it slows down the healing process.

    You "suspect" that it's broken as well. You may not break it. In that case, you have soft tissue damage. Definitely should ice it.

    But if it's already after 72 hours, icing is not as effective.

    Then again we have to have the consent of the injured person to ice or not to ice...

    ReplyDelete