Monday 10 May 2010

Too Hot to...

It's not been so bad today, but lately it's been too hot to dress particularly neatly.  I keep expecting another teacher  to tell me to tuck in my shirt, or straighten my tie (even though I don't wear one) and walk properly, don't drag my feet etcetera; then it dawns on me that I'm the teacher.  It's amazing how often I forget that.

So my first day went okay, the first three classes were tough, primarily because I misunderstood the lesson plans from the previous teacher, so I ended up going over the same things again, oops!  This also meant that I set the same homework, so that went down well.

My afternoon classes went much more smoothly, partly because some of the kinks had been removed, and partly because they're older children.  It's hard to tell which classes are going to be the best, but I'm sure some will emerge as frontrunners.  Anyone who gives me chocolate receives an instant A on their next test - no questions asked.

I went to the local (sic) department store over the weekend.  Well, not over the weekend, but during.  The local store is around a twenty minute bus journey, and despite being imposing outwardly, is surprisingly small inside.  It's like a Tardis, only backwards.

They didn't have any of the things I wanted, so I guess I'll either wait or get them shipped over.

The most surprising thing was that TESCO has a branch here.  All the advertisements were the signature colour, and the store was laid out similarly; however something wasn't quite right.  I caught myself thinking: 'It's TESCO's Jim, but not as we know it.'

There's no Marmite either, which is a bummer.  That coupled with the food stalls erected about the store with servers dishing up octopus and squid led me to suspect the store manager wasn't English.

No comments:

Post a Comment