Monday 26 October 2009

Toji, the Day of Many Problems.

I've added another post, below this one, describing my visit to Toji before this event.  Click here.

So on the day of the flea market I was supposed to meet Pascal, and we were supposed to go around the flea market together.

This plan was scuppered however, as we waited for each other at different gates.  So eventually we both gave up and went into the market alone.

The market itself was extremely crowded.  The kind of crowded where you you can't move for a minute because of the throng surrounding you in every direction.  It's the kind of full where the old people rule, because they don't care about pushing everyone else out of the way in order to get where they're going.  They're like tankers in this situation, and cannot, or will not, stop for anyone or anything.  They're best avoided in these situations.

However there's a snag in this situation.  The market begins at 7AM and finishes at 3PM (roughly), so only those out of work can visit.  This leaves the elderly, students, and house mums.

Japan has a massive aging problem, similar to England.  There are fewer children born every year, and the population is tending towards seniors rather than children.

Never is this more evident than at market time.

Ninety percent senior participation at this event meant I became extremely annoyed at their rudeness.  The standards bred into Japanese for a lifetime are forgotten after a certain age, and it's extremely frustrating.

Thinking about it, I have another genetic problem, in not being Japanese.  I am not Japanese.  That's a problem for the extremely old here.  It's my belief that the society is divided into five layers in terms of age.  The children don't care about gaijin, and will often run up to me (in the small towns and villaged) and throw their English at me in an attempt at communication.  It's all very cute.  Young adults are somewhat perturbed by my presence, but most are friendly.  Middle aged people loathe my existence.  Elderly people are extremely friendly, and will help to the best of their ability one hundred percent of the time.  The extremely old once again loathe my existence on their shores, and would sooner stand on my feet than ask me to move; presumably because I'm a stupid foreigner who wouldn't understand even if I were asked.

All in all it's very interesting, but frustrating at times for sure.

Anyway, I enjoyed the experience, and ended up taking very few pictures in the end; primarily because I was too busy nosing around everywhere.





























Tako is octopus.  Yaki is cooking, cooked, fried or grilled.  (I've no idea which).  The food above is takoyaki.  (Spelling is probably wrong.)  It's delicious!  The only problem is that it's round, which means the outside can be cold, but due to the efficient nature of the shape, the inside is kept at a constant lava melting, five hundred degrees.  I always burn my mouth.


This is how crowded it is.  The only reason there's space in front of the camera in this shot, is because I have a gaijin barrier, as all foreigners do.  This quite often proves to be extremely handy, especially on crowded trains.

The trick is to not take offence, and to occasionally (and discreetly) check to make sure you don't stink.









This artist was fantastic.  He mainly drew on pieces of driftwood, and I was dying to bring something home.  However, the legendary malaise of baggage handlers worldwide means it would inevitably break.

I did buy something from him however, and I will bring it home.






This is a picture of his wooden wares.  They're extremely expensive as you might imagine, but they're superb.  He has a unique style, and a unique medium.









Like I said, not many pictures from this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment