Saturday 10 October 2009

So the Job Interview Then.

So first things first.

Visit here and here, they're a couple of posts I've added in order to catch up with the days I've missed.  One is a few photos of horrible food out the front of a chinese restaurant, (the chinese eat more disgusting, cringe worthy stuff than the Japanese, believe it or not) and the other post is my typhoon experience.

So I went for the interview at GEOS yesterday, having not slept for two days.  One night was spent listening to the incessant rain, (which, through the wonders of youtube and my other post, you can also listen to) and the other night was spent worrying about this interview.  Needless to say I was pretty much zombified by the time it came to the interview itself.

To indicate just how tired I was, let me just say, it took me an hour to find the underground station, that's about ten minutes away from here.  I planned the route out the day before so I wouldn't miss a trick, and had everything planned, but it still took a lot longer than I thought it would.


Luckily I budgeted the forty minute trip at around three hours, so I arrived with about half an hour to spare.


Then the problem of the shirt arose, it had become horrifically crinkled, and no one sells irons in Japan.  If there's a gap in any market, it's in iron sales.


So I got around this problem by hiding under a respectable sweater I'd bought with me, (a jacket wouldn't fit) and pretended to be an etonian toff trying to blend in with the riff raff.  I think it worked pretty well, because the guys who interviewed me were Australian and american, two countries noted for their populaces' ability to be amused/impressed by jangling keys and shiny things.  My facade worked flawlessely.


So I had to give a five minute lesson, and fill out a form with my details and whatnot on them.  I had an 'interview,' but it was really just a formality with such banal questions as, 'why do you think you would make a good teacher for GEOS,' etc etc.


The problems arise at this point.


They've got me on the books now, and will give me a job when one surfaces.  However, that's not going to be for some time, and bizarrely, inside their corporation, it takes them 4-6 weeks to get a working visa; in any other company it takes half that time.  The upshot is that if I work for these guys I'll have to come back home for a while.  I'm probably going to end up doing this, but that throws up a whole bunch of other annoyances, like trying to get a bit of money together while I'm back home, just to help when I come back over here.  I guess that's something to think about later.


So the upshot is that I'll hear back from them in a week or so, and after that I'll probably be heading home for some length of time.


If anyone knows of any temp jobs starting in a month, that have a flexible term, let me know...

2 comments:

  1. Your VISA sponcersip depends on what kind of VISA you have now. If you have any kind of working VISA it only takes a week or two, but if you are a Tourist you have to go through a long process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with the job, keep on searching though

    ReplyDelete