Saturday 10 October 2009

Some Interesting Foodstuffs.

Ok so I'm finally getting round to putting up some of the pictures I took before the storm, randomly around Yokohama.

This first batch are interesting food items I've seen about the place, and with no further ado, here they are!


Ok so at this stage the foodstuffs in this box are still alive.

They just come outside and whack it on the head essentially.

I don't really know what the one swimming around is, but it was tiny; not much of a meal to be had with that guy there.  Maybe a sandwich.

Then again, eating bread here is taking your life into your own hands, so you've got to contend with the bread and the poisonous fish.  I don't really like those odds!


There are assorted shellfish here.  I know it's not a very good picture, but they were being aerated so...

This also presumably means they're alive, or maybe it's to keep them fresh; who knows.

They didn't look particularly delicious though, so only those who really like slimy shellfish should probably eat these things.



Ok at this point I feel I should stop and say:  This was actually outside a chinese restaurant, not Japanese.  I know they eat disgusting things over here in Japan, but china and the chinese have the monopoly on that particular plaudit.  As the saying goes, the chinese will eat anything, and so far this appears to be true.

If the English saying, 'you are what you eat' is also true, this makes an awful lot of chinese people, and those who frequent chinese restaurants here, quite disgusting and rather slimy.


So this is a close-up of the two dimensional fish at the bottom of the box.  They're still alive too.

People in England are always looking to obtain the freshest food possible; yet they baulk at the idea of having a live fish swimming around in front of them.  This is the ultimate freshness, either go for the most fresh produce in everything, or put up with frozen food!  Put up or shut up!


I like this sign because it's a perfect example of Japlish, or Engrish, whichever you'd prefer.

Deep 2 Deep is the shop name, with a random 'import' thrown in for good measure.

It also says 'sweet heart beat,' in the bottom left, and in the middle of the actual heart itself, '...beat...'  Very interesting design going on here, I think you'll agree.  The philosophy seems to be, throw as many English words together as possible.


Ok so I include this basically because I really liked it.  The incessant rain we had during this time also makes it look much nicer in the twilight of whatever hour this was taken.

Most of the 'sculptures,' using the term loosely, that exist here in the street are extremely abstract, and generally fall under the category of, 'we had too much money and too many artists, so we needed to keep them fed.'  There are one or two good ones though, and knowing these kinds of things are entirely subjective I guess it's merely statistics that dictate there should be at least a few I like.  This just happens to be one of the ones I do.

I'll take some photos of a horrendous example at a later date.


This was on the side of a supermarket.

What can I say.

They have *almost* got it right, but not quite.

I want to give the person who penned these lines a hug and a gold star for effort.



Ok so I'll get round to doing the typhoon in  a minute.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I had whale yesterday. I've been going to this really cool bar/okonomiyaki restaurant and the couple next to me offered me some of their kujira, but by the time i looked up what kujira meant I had already eaten a few pieces. And it's quite good actually. They weren't able to tell me which whale I was eating though.

    ReplyDelete