Tuesday 8 September 2009

Thoughts at the ports.

So I'm sitting in Vienna airport, I'm not even bothering to note down the time difference as it will shortly change from a matter of hours, into an entirely different cosmos. I slept for pretty much the entire flight to Vienna, the plane was mostly empty; and using my incredible people deterring powers I managed to obtain an entire row of seats. I basically slept for the entire flight, on a bed. I cannot underestimate, or undersell the value of doing this. It is a truly revolutionary way to fly. Should you be thinking of travelling first class, don't. For the price of three tickets, purchase yourself a row of seats and lie down the whole way. Amazing

The stewardesses were rather comely, but quite insistent that I follow the strict rules and regulations. At one stage coming into land I had closed the windows to better facilitate the shuteye, but quite disappointingly the stewardess leaned over me and opened said windows, while I was asleep. I essentially missed a riproaring good show. That was a shame.

The gate I'm flying from corresponds neatly with the gate I arrived in, thereby meaning there is virtually no travelling on my behalf, to and from terminals. The changover took twenty minutes, with a boarding card re-print and a slap on the wrist for keeping my old card in such bad order.

I am absolutely shattered, it has to be said. I'm also being stared at like I'm the beast of bodmin, I have a funny feeling that mobile electricity hasn't been invented in this part of the world yet, and despite computers being something obtainable by the super wealthy over here, mobile ones are akin to matter transport or time travel.

I've also noticed a massive Japanese language presence in this airport. At first I thought the Heathrow → Vienna → Tokyo route was kind of convoluted, silly even; but it seems to be a viable oft used route around the world, otherwise there surely would not be a Japanese equivalent for every English sign. There also wouldn't be the four separate Japanese tourist groups setting up besides me, all pulling out fancy pants laptops of their own.

This could end up being the longest diary entry ever, seeing as I now have an inordinate number of hours to make up. I find it interesting that people should congregate around the familiar, it's obviously a natural reaction to surroundings of a foreign nature, but by pulling out a book written with Japanese all over the front, the only dozen Japanese in the whole place manage to find their way next door. And their (presumably) introverted nature leads none of them into a conversation with me. Maybe they can't speak English. Maybe their not Japanese. Maybe it's all coincidence. Who knows really.

No comments:

Post a Comment