Friday 7 January 2011

Sitting in Gohyun Bus Terminal

So I'm sitting in Gohyun bus terminal, on my way to Seoul.  It's a five hour trip from the terminal in which I currently reside, to the door at my final destination.  From door to door it's more like six.

At this stage I feel like I've seen everything Seoul has to offer, despite only seeing a fraction of what is there.  I have been promised dog tomorrow though, and that should make things somewhat  more interesting.

I've manage to go however many months without a single venture into the grand world of canine delicacies.

I must admit, I love the fact that Korea is one of the only places in the world where canine delicacy can have different meanings.

One of the two new arrivals joined the group today.  It was his initiation (of sorts) into the group, as we had dinner in a restaurant (again, of sorts).  The pseudo-restaurant is nice enough, and a fun enough time was had.

I decided to break with social convention somewhat, by skipping the boring hours long smalltalk people use to seem interesting.  I arrived half an hour late, but was the first to dole out the spicy gossip, in a palm sized bundle.  Up to this point the conversation, while brisk, revolved around trivial nonsense.  I could tell this within the first two minutes of my arrival, and the looks every exhibited.  (Suicidal, in case you were wondering.)

The juicy gossip included all the stupid shit people have done in the office, and some of the stupid shit they've done outside the office.  This freed things up nicely, and everyone was embarrassed.  Everyone is going to be embarrassed at some stage when their secrets are found out, so why not just get the bullshit out of the way first, and focus on the people behind the nonsense?

Why would I do this?  I was forced to come to the dinner, despite the enforcer knowing I wanted to go to Seoul.  The upshot, I won't be forced to dinner against my will again, unless crossfire and casualties are expected.

Petty?  Yes, but more fun than I thought it would be.  Obviously I'm not beyond ridicule, I received a healthy dose, but I learned more about the new guy in this one hour dinner, than two weeks of pussy-footing and social mores.

The upshot - when you are bored and feeling like a child, act like a child.  It might be substantially more interesting than you thought it would be.


On a completely unrelated side-note:  I wrote this using public, unsecured wifi.  Logging onto any service via such a network is not recommended, and I'm such a nerd for this kind of thing that I'm going to change all my password tomorrow.  Less be, to all ye who listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment