Monday 4 October 2010

Post-travel thoughts: Dubai

The Dubai conspiracy is one that has taken six months to unravel. I've been here three times now, and have tried to like this place every time. I keep getting told it's a fantastic airport, and the best port of transfer you could hope to embark/disembark from.

My first impression was one of complete ambivalence. It's extremely big, and extremely brash. For those of you familiar with the palm tree islands and Venice themed resort (whereby each room is accessed via a gondola and your own punt) this brash exuberance shouldn't come as any surprise. Despite knowing this, I still found the crass plastic palm-trees and large water features extremely distasteful. Moral issues aside, (the whole of the emirates are based upon Indian slave labour) it's just vulgar. It's Las Vegas. Both are built in the middle of a desert. Both are built by people who have too much money, and want to prove this to the world. Both are morally bankrupt. Only Dubai is literally bankrupt.

Both are plastic, tacky and lacking any kind of decency.

Despite never being to Las Vegas, I have been close enough to smell the fake american stench. You can catch a whiff whenever the place is shown on TV.

The designers of the new terminal at Heathrow talked about it being a gateway into England, and as such, it should represent what it means to be in England. If the designers of this airport followed the same principles then, simply put; I will never visit the Emirates. Any of them.

Just as a quick flight update. I hate a monstrous aboriginal child in front of me, pushing her seat into my chest for the whole flight (despite her ignorant, fat little legs not being able to touch the floor) and the worst behaved Indian/English child I have ever had the pleasure of meeting – right behind me. Disgusting. Disgusting. Disgusting. Just the worst flight ever.

The Emirates staff were rude, unhelpful and above all else, they didn't give me the seconds they promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment