Friday 15 October 2010

Pictures, And What I Can't Do

So I recently took a couple of photos of my kids.  They were all dressed up in the traditional Korean clothing (called Hanbuk), and they looked pretty smart.

My original plan was to share them on here.

If you asked someone to name the traditional Japanese clothing you'd get a mixed response; some would name it directly, others would skirt around the correct name.  The constant is that everyone would describe it, to a greater or lesser extent.

Now ask people to name the traditional Korean dress.  Any takers?

Describe it then.

Still no one?

One tentative hand goes up in the back row - and  that about sums up Koreas contribution to the world.  It would be nice to share the traditional Hanbuk with people back home without resorting to a supermodel swaying along a catwalk.  No one looks like that, and fewer women walk like that.  They really do look splendid, and are a direct contrast from the Japanese muted dress.

Perhaps that's why my opinion on Hanbuk changed when I saw the kids wearing them; they're colourful and vibrant in the way the people simply aren't.  A form of expression perhaps?

If you want to know what they look like however; stick to google.  I'm sure I'd be placed in a deep pot of steadily boiling water if I were to post pictures of the kids on the internet, and someone were to find out.

(The only way they'd find out is if they searched for my name on google, I'm sure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment