Tuesday 22 June 2010

Who Needs Water Anyway?

So I just had some exciting news; the island is without running water for three days.  No showers, no cleaning of clothes and no toilets.

A pipe that supplies the island burst earlier today, and while I assumed the news to be a monumental wind-up on behalf of a colleague, the news was unfortunately true.  I immediately jumped to the conclusion that school would be postponed, owing to the whole no toilets and no cooking water scenario; however the school exists in its' own dimension, and while three quarters of the island is without water, the school will happily plod along with water.  How did they manage that?

It's only twenty-five degrees today, with a low humidity of seventy five to eighty percent; so I only lost five kilogrammes today.  When the weather turns hot on Friday, it will be hitting twenty-eight degrees, and the humidity will be eighty five percent plus.  That's when the lack of water will be noticeable.  It smells bad enough in my classrooms when the kids shower regularly...

On a lighter note, the teachers reactions were humorous.  One teacher flat out refused to work without a shower; presumably he (I embolden that word because, yes, it was a man acting like a woman) has accepted that there's nothing he can do about it.  Another thought it would remind him of being in the scouts.  I can't say I approve of either mentality.

So what to do.  The provisions in my room won't last me a full three days, and panic buying has already begun - I should really buy some more water and whatnot.  Then again, I'm extremely lazy.

New plan:  Go to american football training, work up a sweat, come back, wash with a two litre bottle of water and minimal shampoo/shower gel.

Good plan!

Great success!

No comments:

Post a Comment