Tuesday 13 September 2011

Myth of the Day

I have to bust ridiculous myths every day.  The kids can't speak a lick of English, so these all come from the teachers, grown adults.  They're not quite 'is it true you bathe in the blood of animals you sacrifice to ramu,' they are however pretty stupid.  Today:  'Sam sensei, is it true English people eat five meals a day?'  I tend to eat whenever I have downtime, and I'm always hungry, so I assumed my own gluttony was assumed normal for the English.  'Oh, I read that English people eat tea and crumpets in the afternoon, and scones with jam after breakfast, before lunch.'

Yes.  Literally every person I have ever met does this.

I've never paid attention to the myths about asia, so I can't really contrast and compare.

What I learned today is, basically, the Japanese government has a massive funding crisis.  They haven't updated their textbooks since 1890, and they failed, at that time, to include how the 'average,' Englishman lives - instead preferring to focus on the queen.  I mean, come on; seriously?



Another myth that I feel like disintegrating - america is great.  Read this article from the BBC, and thank god that you don't live in america.  Sucks to live there and be average, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment