Friday 30 April 2010

First Impressions are Always Fun, so Let's Write Some!

So first off, Goeje is huge. No matter what it may look like on a map, and no matter how small the population, traversing this island takes a substantial effort. I've no idea how long it took to reach this place once we were on-board, but it's not a journey to be undertaken on a bicycle!

Unfortunately the couple who bought me here did not speak any English, and I can't speak any Korean, so the journey was mostly silent. What with the language barrier and my insistent drowsiness, very little communication happened. I would like to take this opportunity to publicly apologise to the two who bought me over to the island for being incredibly boring, and I am grateful that you took your own night off to do so. And as a side-note, the woman driving should definitely pursue a career as a racing driver.

On a tangent, the landscape here is unbelievable. It's absolutely fantastic. Flying overhead on the internal connecting flight, I saw the towns and cities perched on hillsides lit up in neon. Obviously I couldn't see the hills themselves, they were merely silhouettes on the skyscape, but the combination of mountaineering skyscrapers (I don't know what classifies a building as being such, but these are pretty damned tall) and hilltop of complete darkness (presumably because they're too difficult to build upon) makes for a completely unique view. I had theorised, prior to visiting, that Japan and Korea might suffer from similar land space issues, mainly that the land is primarily mountainous and therefore difficult to build on; it seems this is definitely the case, although the problem appears somewhat less pronounced than in Japan. From a classically minded perspective the urban sprawl isn't particularly eye-pleasing, but the endeavour with which they've built is fantastic.

The flat is surprisingly clean, if unspectacular. The only downside is that the TV doesn't have an HDMI connection, gutted! I'll go out and get an adapter later, or if I can't find a shop I'll use the internet. As of writing this I have no idea what the internet is like, because I'm not connected yet. Just storing a few diary-esque thoughts until I do get hooked up.

Everyone seems pretty nice, and two even stayed up specially to greet me last night, despite it being around 1AM; which was a nice touch.

I'm going to have a mosey around later and hopefully pick up some supplied from the local supermarket. That is, if I can find the local supermarket...

2 comments:

  1. So you need a hdmi to analog converter? Seems like this is pretty hard to find and probably quite expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to pilfer a TV or something, they're freakin' huge over here, despite everyone living in tiny little apartments.

    Or I could just, you know, buy a lead for the back of my ps3, S'all good.

    ReplyDelete