Thursday 30 June 2011

Oh the Heat

So the heat messed me up pretty badly today.

I had to cycle into work, as is usual on a Friday.  It's a thirty minute ride, but by 8.30 AM it was already 28 degrees, with a humidity that rivals rainforests.  It took me about two hours before my body was able to regulate its' own temperature, and by then I'd already had to teach a class.  I'm pretty sure it was the worst class ever, but I can't remember...  I've only just managed (five hours later) to get rid of my headache from this morning.  The upshot - don't bike anywhere when it's this humid.  It's not even the heat so much as the humidity.  Dry-heat is preferable.  I don't know the exact statistic, but I believe it's around a hundred million times more pleasant to have a 35 degree heat with 10% humidity than a 30 degree heat with 98% humidity.

It's also come to my attention that I've been bitching about the heat for a month now.  I honestly don't know why, but it's really messing me up.

On a bizarre side-note, the average Japanese person is terrified of lightening.  They warned me about lightening, pointing out that 'when it is thunder, flash from sky... flash is dangerous.'  Well, aside from the Engrish (I would love to be able to say even that much in Japanese at this point), I find it incredible to think that they think no other country in the world has thunderstorms.  I've been asked if England has thunder and lightening, whether it rains a lot, (I thought England was notorious for that) and whether it's dangerous in England.

I would say I'm in far more danger being here, as I'm at least half a foot taller than average.  Considering the fact that right now it's thundering, and there's a wickedsick storm outside, I'll have to do my best granny impression and ride my bike bent over double.

Or not, considering open plains are not common here.

No comments:

Post a Comment