Sunday 29 May 2011

When the Weather is Interesting

So today we're experiencing a small typhoon.  Apparently they close down schools when the weather's this bad they usually close school for half a day, but not this time.

I am absolutely soaked.  I am currently creating a puddle under my chair, and I can only imagine the kids fared worse - they travel for more than 5 minutes by bike.  I was wearing my raincoat, and it was pretty effective for about three of those minutes.  To put this into context, this raincoat is the most effective one I've ever used.  It's a good coat.

Couple this with the fact that I didn't use my brakes once on the journey here (the wind was strong enough that I never broke 5Km/h and I stopped dead a number of times without meaning to) and I suspect the management made the wrong decision with regards to keeping the school open today.

My feet are so wet.



On a side-note, English people often become extremely defensive and incomprehensible when the BBC is called into question about anything.  The BBC is a news outlet, just like any other, and is not the bastion of neutral reporting many claim it to be.

This article is a perfect example:

'The attacks on Cate Blanchett also reveal an instinctive suspicion of people in Australia perceived to be part of a cultural or educational elite - especially by the populist right.'


This is not a quote from an individual, this is written as the voice of the BBC.  Since when does a subjective opinion become fact?  Since when is defamation of the ideals of a political movement acceptable?  Let the people make their own minds up - it's for programmes like Have I got News for You to comment on the validity of an individuals' views, not the main news department.


P.S  Australians, seeing as you are all the same, and you are all suspicious of the cultural and ruling elite, and you are all therefore part of the populist right, to some extent, don't you think it's time to let go of jealousy and live your lives?


P.P.S  To the BBC:  Do you see how it could be construed as opinion, when quotes are not identified?  Not every Australian is suspicious of the ruling elite classes (whatever they are), don't present opinion as fact.


Then again, this is on their website, so a flunky is probably responsible for writing this article.  がんばって flunky, you can improve!  The whole world is behind you!  <--- Presented as a fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment