Wednesday 11 May 2011

To Value Minority Views

Now before I begin, let me preface this post by saying that I am currently reading (as widely as possible) about research methods for my upcoming indoctrination into the world of Masters education.  I am required to submit (for my first module) a research proposal, without fully realising the research itself.  In this way, the kings of university hope that I will learn the requirements and expectations surrounding credible research.

Upon my embarkation on this long, (probably arduous) journey I came across this book (part of the essential reading list for the course): 'Teachers Investigate their Work.' It's written by Herbert Altrichter, Peter Posch and Bridget Somekh.

Notice how I haven't used a formal, accepted method for citing this particular book, and neither will I for citing the page number and references - I'm not writing a formal essay here!

Much of this introduction to research focuses on basics, which is great.  Prior to this book I had little idea what was expected, and this covers a lot of theoretical ground.  I would have preferred a few more case studies, perhaps coming at the end in the form of supplementary reading, with key points highlighted in order to give a context to the theory.  As such, it does an adequate job of isolating particular aspects of the theory, and I may simply be nitpicking as to the validity of this criticism.

Anyway, on writing under the heading 'the function of dilemma analysis,' (P. 152) a particular sub-heading, entitled 'valuing minority views,' caught my eye, and immediately sparked a thought appropriate for this blog.

The crux of this sub-heading is simple - by using the specific method of post research analysis (dilemma analysis), a problem that can be overcome is the ever prevalent de-valuation of minority views.

This is not a racial argument, before you stop reading.

Think back to history class.  How many views have been held in esteem for centuries, to be debunked in an instant.  How many of those met with fierce resistance?  Using a specific example, the discovery of us not being the centre of the universe, the minority view (of Galileo) was shunned because it contravened religious doctrine.  The religious held power, his view was discredited.

Luckily for Galileo, he made a discovery that was based in a land of mathematics and observable, re-creatable fact.

Unfortunately, the loft values held by scientists and students everywhere, specifically of us 'being past,' the dark ages where the powerful few could dictate truth, is a mirage.  Think about global warming.  The priests have been replaced by politicians, the bishops by big company spokesmen, but we are all equally ignorant of the truth.

In a few decades I'm sure the truth will out, but in the meantime I suggest the scientists of the world read this book, specifically chapter six.  While not a manual on empirical research, should you wake up and realise that everything has some involvement of human perception, and therefore the resulting pitfalls associated with interpretation, you will come out ahead of the pack, and possibly contribute something useful to society.  More frightened, closeted individuals too frightened to assess the 'minority view,' humanity does not need.

No comments:

Post a Comment