Sunday 27 February 2011

Installing Windows 7

So I downloaded Windows 7 from Microsofts website (I couldn't be doing with going to a shop and buying it) and tried installing it yesterday.  It didn't work, because I was using a bootable USB DVD drive, instead of a SATA one.

I believe that it is theoretically possible to use a USB drive, as the problem was a driver one.  Initially I couldn't even see the drive, but with some internet searching I found some drivers, put them onto a USB memory stick and attached that to my computer.  After some dabbling and discovering, I managed to isolate the driver (a USB 2 generic driver, believe it or not) and the DVD drive was found.

What boggles my mind is this:  I pre-loaded the Windows 7 installer using the same DVD drive it later could not find.  Way to go, asinine windows programmers.

Anyway, after finding the drivers for the drive, Windows kicked up a big, heaving bunch of driver related issues, and I could go no further.

I then decided to purchase a second DVD drive, this time internal SATA.  I'm looking at the Windows installer now, and it hasn't kicked up any errors yet.  Here's to hoping.

So basically heed this:  If you are installing Windows (or Ubuntu for that matter) it is far simpler to use an internal SATA drive.

Many might say, 'why didn't you have one in the first place?'  The reason:  Purely aesthetic.  I don't want an ugly-ass drive poking out the front of my beautiful new, perfectly rounded and formed, chinese built case.  Every sucka has a DVD drive, only pro's don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment