Saturday 26 February 2011

It's Working!

It boots, it sees 16 gigs of RAM, it sets the RAM to the correct frequencies and latencies, it detects the hard disk (500 gigs for 28 pounds) and nothing exploded!

I need to get a bigger USB pen drive so I can put Ubuntu on it, then it will be ready to use!

I usually keep a pen drive around storing the Ubuntu Netbook Remix (whichever is the latest version) but the full-blown 64 bit desktop variant requires a 2gig drive.  Mine's only 1 gig.  A quick trip down to the store tomorrow should rectify that shortfall, and I'll be ready to rumble.

I might also see if they have any USB DVD drives, so I can keep a backup copy of all my linux flavours in case of emergencies.  (I currently run netbook remix, 32 bit desktop and tomorrow, 64 bit as well.

Before you ask, no, I don't have a DVD drive in my PC.  No I'm not getting one.  Because it makes the front of the case look ugly, and everything will be digital distrobution in five years anyway.  All my games are bought on steam, and all the office apps I will need are part of Ubuntu.

The pendrive and dvd drive will eat into my contingency budget, and bring this build to a grand total (everything included) of 1,250 pounds.  I hastily calculated that this build would have cost me 1,600 in England.  Each major component is at least 50 pounds dearer, most things end up being way pricier.

I get paid on Monday.  Phew!

1 comment:

  1. why not get a bluray drive - loads more capacity and it'll still write dvd's - just bought an internal one for £65 in blighty so should be about £15 in Korea using your maths - haha!

    ReplyDelete