Saturday 14 August 2010

The Long Awaited Seoul Update!

After a wait of two weeks, I can finally reveal the pictures I took during my trip to Seoul.  I took some eight hundred pictures, of which only a handful were of a good enough quality to show the world.  Of those few, only some had interesting subjects, so the resulting pictures should be respectable, if unspectacular.

This is outside one of the underground stations, I have no idea what it is, but I like the lines and reflections.

There was a police car parked just opposite, but I don't think they would have taken too kindly to me photographing them.

I got quite a few odd looks for taking this photo, so I'm not sure whether I did something wrong.  That's pretty much the story of how I live my life here; blundering from one cultural faux pas to another.

On the way up to Seoul there is usually a TV on the coach.  This, more often than not, shows a horrendous period drama, with the production values of, well, they have none.

This time however, they showed a film about the creation of this building.  I have no idea what function it serves, what it houses, or how many cubic feet of concrete were used to make it; but I do like the shape of it and its' sister building.






This is a view  of both buildings.  I think this is one of those rare occasions where the individual building is more aesthetically pleasing than the pair.  The shape is unique, and having two together mirroring each other seems to destroy that individuality.

They also remind me of the stealth jets, with their angular design.  The world first stealth buildings.


There is a wonderful land of new and old technology here called 'technomart.'  It houses a floor of cellphones, a floor of cameras, and a few floors of all the constituent parts of a computer, both old and new.  While wandering around I came across an old Geforce graphics card that I owned eight or so years ago.  Who could possibly want to buy that?  Or rather, who could hope to sell it?

On my travels through this place I also came across the above picture, as it demonstrates that even people whose livelihoods depend on consoles and games are prone to pirating them.  The homebrew channel for the wii is a way of loading games you've illegally downloaded, and he was openly displaying it in his wii booth.  Interesting marketing strategy!





Imagine a giant department store, without the clothes, solely catering to computers, cameras and mobile phones.  That's pretty much what this place is.  These picture are provided for a sense of scale.

There are signs all over the place telling you such interesting things as the weather, or who has the best coffee in town.

This one could be warning people that taking pictures is illegal, for all I know.

I found myself drawn towards it  though, because it's extremely shiny.



I struggled to figure out why the bus service here was so effective.  Indeed, the inside of these buses was unremarkable.  You might say they were dirty, even with English transport in mind.

After seeing this picture however, I realised that quantity is far more important than quality, in terms of providing an efficient service.  Eight lane roads in the middle of the city help too, I'm sure.


It seems everyone who lives in the city enjoys the scenic views afforded by a park and lake.  The only problem is, and it's something no one can fix - you will always come up against a big ugly building once you leave the park area.  The view inside the park may be fantastic, but there will always be a massive lump of concrete in the background.  No matter how hard you try to mask it, or how hard to try to make it look good, you can't...


















Horticulturists name this plant.  Or tree.  Maybe tree.  It was above my head afterall.

















This is a view over the lake, still inside the same park.

The whole place is sunk below street level, so it's amazingly peaceful considering the noise just metres away.

It would be a nice place to sit down, if it weren't for the hundreds of others who had the same thought.  This place was really packed when I went, and I would imagine you couldn't go there without it being so.

This picture illustrates the size and number of dragonflies here.  There are tons, all over the place.  They're also roughly five times bigger than the ones we have at home.  They look able to eat small mammals...


As promised, I have only provided a tiny fraction of the photos I took.  You need to check back regularly to find the rest of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment