Wednesday 18 August 2010

Five, and Flagging...

So this is my fifth consecutive post.

I think after today, I may need to reduce my posting, lest I be hospitalised for RSI.

 This is obviously something of a photo manipulation on my part.

It's the desktop to my computer in the classroom.  It's high contrast, so it makes it easier to read the items on my desktop.

This picture, coupled with the screensaver slideshow of my trip to Seoul gives my room a competitive edge over the other classrooms, I feel at least.

 This picture and the one below, illustrate an important difference between Japanese and Korean shrines.

At face value they look extremely similar, I was surprised to find many of the same craft styles present in both places.  The roof latticework for example, looks identical to my eyes.

The difference of note that I would recommend looking at my previous pictures to see, is that Korea feels much more earthy.  There is a lot of bare soil, and the gardens are nowhere near as lush.

This is either indicative of budget disparities, or a different philosophy as to what grounds like these should look like.

I would prefer it if the latter were true.
 Looking along this wall you can see the lighter earth tone of the wall, compared to the Japanese equivalent; and an unashamed lack of vegetation.

The only cover in this particular place comes from a randomly grown assortment of trees.

The more modern park area has a shaded patch and a fountain, but the traditional areas have little in the way of cover.

 Looking through one of the outer buildings we can see a view that completely contradicts my previous assertion.

You will just have to take it from me, these places are nowhere near as lush.

This isn't a negative aspect to the castles and religious grounds here, it's just a different interpretation of a tranquil place.

If tranquility is a word that can be associated with what is now a tourist spot...
 I don't speak any Korean, and fearing for my life, I daren't speak to any of those passing by.

Therefore I can only assume this man was either the founder of this area, or a major architect  in its' planning.

His book suggests a scholar of some sorts, and his garb is excessive, especially for the Summer season here.  I can only surmise that he is a nobleman of some kind.  Maybe even a King.
 When you walk in the entrance, if you keep an even keel, on your right will be this view.

It is quite an interesting view, partly because of the buildings in the palatial grounds, and partly because of the dearth of vegetation.  The grass is an unhealthy yellow/green, and there are no trees.

It makes the entire  place feel much larger than it actually is.

I wonder if that was the intention of the designer...



 This is the view from the other side of the walkway, past the main entrance.

When you see period Asian war films, they're always being slaughtered in the equivalent of this space, in whichever country they're currently in.

There was some filming going on just behind me, but I've no idea what for.

Again, I was too afraid to ask.



 I was wondering whether this man was like our Buckingham Palace guards, and couldn't smile, flinch, move or otherwise react should I go and take a picture up-close.

I didn't want to risk it though.  The highly strung nature of the individuals in this country would mean it would become a diplomatic incident within seconds.

It would also mean being impaled on a ten foot skewer, and that's something I've no desire of trying.
 This was in the background of the above picture.

They have a number of lavish courtyards, that presumably served as military training grounds, or ceremonial grounds of some sort.

They had no ornamentation, so I assume they had a utilitarian purpose.
 Another extremely ugly gargoyle looks on at the temple.

I think it's peeved that after all these years, it still has to protect this stupid building.

That's why it's got the annoyed expression, and why it's directed at the building itself.
 This is the Borrowers Eye View (TM) of the temple.  I sat the camera on the floor to take a drink, and wondered what the place looked like from down there.

Low and behold, it looks like this.

Despite being terminally wonky, it's still closer to horizontal than any other picture in this series, so that's a plus.
 They like incorporating cubby holes in their designs, and this is a typical example.

They're not fully developed courtyards, but I can imagine some kind of kitchen garden being cultivated here, or a stone bench for someone to important to sit with the riff-raff.

It's an interesting place, with all the low corridors and hiding places.  There are an inordinate number of tiny arrow holes too.  These guys were certainly prepared for an invasion.
The final picture in todays' set leaves me with mixed feelings.

I saw this view, through a doorway in the wall, and wondered how I could possibly fail to take an impressive  shot, what with the diagonal lines and imposing building facade to work with.  It turns out that elements can be easily placed together, but the end result can be extremely unimpressive, or downright boring; despite best intentions.

This picture isn't exactly great, but it's the best of this sequence, and I feel it should be entered unto the internet, to remind me that luck is important, and so is perseverence.

Until next time, which might not be tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment