Friday 29 January 2010

Yes, England is just as Corrupt and Lie Encrusted, the Difference is; I can see This.

I was going to lead this post with my snookering exploits; but I instead lead with an interesting story.

I use QQ messenger; chinas' direct MSN equivalent.  This is legacy software from a past life, but it occasionally throws up interesting conversations.  This software isn't used outside of china; bar the abundance of middle-class chinese migrants scurrying around Europe and america.  As one of the few English speakers on their network; I'm something of a fascinating oddity for the two hundred million users in china.  Let me just say that again.  This software has 200 million active users.  That's around 1/5th of the worlds pc's, including home pc's, and commercial enterprise computers.  Pc's that aren't actually pc's, things such as PVR's are included in this figure.  This is, as sobering and literal as possible, the single most popular piece of software in the world; bar windows, upon which it runs.  People don't have a choice when it comes to windows though...

Anyway; I'm an oddity on this system, not having a chinese name or login; therefore tons of people add me to their 'buddy list,' and I have a cross-section of the chinese middle classes at my fingertips.

I've asked every person that's added me on QQ,

(I don't understand enough chinese to add anyone, so I'm reliant on curious individuals adding me instead.  This will obviously distort the nature of my anecdotal findings, purely because the type of individual inquisitive enough to add a scary foreigner will have had a different upbringing and psychology to someone who doesn't.  I only mention this, because it's good practice to be aware of limitations of interpretation throughout.  This is something traditional media conveniently forgets, by the way.)

a large number of china related questions.  Things such as, 'do you like china?'  And, 'do you think Tibet should be separated from china?'  Any number of things.  Out of the 100+ people who've added me; I've found that roughly zero have ever said anything remotely negative about china.

Anyway, I bring this up now because someone recently added me; and when confronted with the question of whether he liked china, (and some subsequent to-and-fro) he produced this:


'China's modern history is a history of humiliation. The Chinese people bullied by foreigners. Communist Party of China led the Chinese people defeated the aggressors and the Communist Party of China to the Chinese people have been bullied by the end of the day. I love the Chinese Communist Party Communist Party of China also love the Chinese people'


Now; this is quite the line; so I assumed this is an paragraph from a party speech, so inquired as to its' origins.  It transpires that the long pause was him writing and translating this himself.

I was intrigued at this point; so pressed onward.  After asking whether his government would also be capable of lying, I received this response:


'chinese goverment no lies,'


Not surprisingly it turns out that, 'i hate ur goverment,' was to follow this statement.  Having established that this guy loves china, and hates the rest of the world (except america.  This puzzles me enormously, but chinese love america, and hate Europe) he then goes ahead and shows me this video.  It's worth watching, because you have to travel across the pond for this kind of mindless patriotism.  It really is incredible that a human being could come up with it; but then again, it was probably against his wishes.

(I again interject to point out that Europe is the number one purchaser of chinese goods, products and services.  america is a paltry third, behind Japan.  Considering america hates them, and everything they stand for, one would expect a little more hostility.  This isn't the case however, and logic once again deflates in the face of human emotion (see:stupidity))

So having declared china masters of the universe, Tibet rightful property, and all other races (bar america) inferior, he drops this peach into the conversation: 'chinese love peace so china dont take over the world.... All of the world can be happy with life on this earth.... tibet belongs china forever.... The Tibetan people's life is very happy.'

At this point it's merely a pain to raise other factors in this conversation; but I will anyway:


China's modern history is a history of humiliation. The Chinese people bullied by foreigners. Communist Party of China led the Chinese people defeated the aggressors and the Communist Party of China to the Chinese people have been bullied by the end of the day. I love the Chinese Communist Party Communist Party of China also love the Chinese people


'NotAllama  4:24:25 PM
What is that?


itis the truth

Chat logs aren't very interesting, but here's another one anyway:

The Chinese people will always remember that period of humiliating history, so the Chinese people strive to build the motherland, and hope that their country could be more powerful. Only our country strong the Chinese people will not be bullied

When asked whether all chinese people could afford computers he replied:

NotAllama  5:17:34 PM
A computer costs a lot of money
X
no
NotAllama  5:17:47 PM
Yes it does
X
3000RMB
NotAllama  5:17:57 PM
Most chinese people cannot afford a computer!
X
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE
NotAllama  5:18:43 PM
What is impossible?
X
THEY CAN AFFORD A COMPUTER
NotAllama  5:20:49 PM
Every chinese person can afford a computer?
X
BUT THEY DONT WANT TO SPEND MONEY IN COMPUTER
X
NO
X
MOST OF CHINESE CAN AFFORD IT'



These ravings are uncommon in my experience, but are representative of the general blind faith.  Who needs religion?

It later transpired that he was, in fact, a she; studying politics at university, readying to become a fledgling member of the government.  The adage 'start them young,' has never seen a more appropriate usage...

Laugh or cry, it will be decades before some semblence of rationality is brought to those shores; I just hope I can visit someday, and escape with my life!

(I fully understand the chinese secret police will now murder me in my sleep; or simply ban me from entering the country)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I like your labels! You need all of those words (if not more) to describe the experience, don't you?

    I used to live with a Chinese girl many years ago. She's nice enough but digging below the surface it's quite scary. When the topic of Tibet came up, it's explosive. I just encountered one, but imagine there're millions that have blind faith to their government.

    So I didn't last long in that house.

    It's interesting the Chinese loves America. Politically, they're the opposite poles, but they have one thing in common: they impose their power onto somebody smaller. Kind of like-minded in a way..

    I think your QQ account may be tapped by now? ;/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure a few of the people who've added me are secret service agents!

    I never thought of chinese and americans being similar in that way; but you're right about that! Maybe the chinese idolise the power of america... They're both extremely hard headed people anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true, the idolisation of America. Even now that the yanks are flat broke, the Chinese (and many other cultures) are still idolising the flashy things about America!

    Maybe you need help from the British intelligence agencies of some description. What's it called? MI5, or something?

    I know this guy Richard Moore who's the artistic director of the Melbourne Film Festival. Last year he put in the film festival program a documentary by an Australian director about a Uyghur woman who's in exile in the US escaping prosecution by the Chinese government. Richard got a call from the Chinese consulate in Melbourne to take the doco out of the program. Richard replied through the national media that the Melbourne Film Festival is an independent organisation that answers to nobody but our own conscience. Then Richard and his wife were followed by Chinese men in black leather jackets with mini divices in their ears (like an FBI in flims - idolisation to the extreme!) and has to change their mobile numbers and things. And this happened in Melbourne!

    They're completely nuts

    ReplyDelete