Saturday 7 November 2009

What is there to Write about in England?

So I'm debating whether to keep this blog running.

My thinking is that, generally speaking, there are very few interesting things to write about while in England.  This is not to say England is disinteresting.  I'm sure it's got a lot to offer anyone who is interested and willing to put themselves out and about; I am not one of these people however, and I feel a blog of my time in England would simply deteriorate into a monotonous, moan laden diatribe.

On the other hand - a moan laden diatribe posted on the internet would plot my trajectory perfectly.  The highs of Japan will contrast the monotony of England perfectly; and everything has highs and lows.  A skewed view of my situation may give rise to resentment at a later stage, and should I ever feel Japan has treated me badly, I can look back at my diary and see just where it ranks among past experiences.  Should I find myself unemployed while in Japan, I can look back at the job I will (hopefully) hold in England, and say: 'well teaching here is a damned sight better than stacking shelves in England.'  Or I might say, 'well teaching here is a damned sight worse than winning the lottery in England.'  Of course, one might be wishful thinking, and the other might be wishful thinking.

So for this episode of 'Sam, the chronicles thereof,' I'm going to show you all some pictures of my journey homeward bound.

I flew back on a jumbo jet which was nice, although I did pay a premium for this.  I think I've finally made some sense of the pricing system put in place by the airline companies.  Essentially, the bigger the plane you fly on, the more expensive it is.  The size of the plane is dictated by the length of the journey.  Therefore, a journey with a stop costs less!  My theory is being patented as we speak.


There's a cartoon called 'gundam,' over in Japan, and it has a dozen different spin-off series.  It's so popular that a giant life sized robot (the series' trademark) was erected in Tokyo.  Unfortunately it was dismantled a month before I arrived, but it was enormous.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up:  This ship (see: train) looks like it has been styled on the mythical gundam.  It's due to hit the rails in  2010, and will serve as one of the express trains (I think.)

I can't wait to hop on one of these mean looking things when I come back!







The last thing you see before boarding the plane back home...

Hope to see you soon too, Japan... *cry*











This is the plane I flew back in on.

This is taken from Heathrow, and for possessing a camera inside an airport, I was half expecting to be shot on sight.

Luckily I survived, to bring you this.

My views on HSBC have changed somewhat since they refused to send me a replacement card in Japan. The world bank, my arse.  They tried their best to strand me in the middle of Japan with no money.  Good going, guys.
Boycot all HSBC products people!

The plane was comfortable though, and crewed by a large number of very nice people.  Even though none of you will ever read this, thank you very much.


The reason the checks will take longer.  Not because they're making it harder to get in.  Not because they're turning away more people.  Not because there's more, harder work to be done in order to arrive in England.

It's because they want to ask more questions.

Good going guys.

And on that note; this is the end of my travel home section.

Or is it?

4 comments:

  1. the trajectory plot sounds good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I didn't mean you have to suffer to write for our entertainment, but glass could be half full...no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, the custom check in Belgium took about ... 5 seconds. But still, Europe sucks :P.

    Oh, and hey Naree ;-)

    ReplyDelete