Monday 9 November 2009

A Shrine to my Travels

A collected all the items I had acquired during my all too brief stay in Japan and made a little shrine out of them.

I feel kind of strange putting all these things together, because they take up hardly any space at all; and far from epitomising my trip, it sits on my desk mocking me, whispering in my ear that it's an inadequate grouping of insignificant items.

Ok, so it doesn't whisper to me, because that would make me certifiable.  But this small collection of items is only a small gateway into the experiences of all those decades ago.

Wait, I only travelled there... How many days ago was it?  And I guess this is my worry.  Like my (minor) Japanese language skills, I feel the experiences and memories will wane over time; I don't know what will be left after the lighter, less significant memories evaporate.


And here is the travels corner of my room.

The swiss made, chinese, swiss army knife from chenzi; the sphinx head from Egypt, the chinese dolls from the budding doctor I met in america, all those years ago.

And now the Japanese accoutrements.

It looked a little bare before, but the Japanese elements, with their personal touches, make this corner of my room all the more inviting.

No comments:

Post a Comment