Monday 30 January 2012

Tax, Oh Tax

So I just filled in my tax form.

I'm fairly certain it's all nonsense, but I completed it to the best of my ability.  The form is one page long.  The accompanying booklet is about fifty or so pages.

For every line on the form there's a page in the booklet.  A whole page.  A page per line.  Each line requires inputting around eight characters.  Eight characters require a page.  If ever there's a case for overhauling a system, it's when a line of eight numbers require a page of writing to explain their use.

On the very first page there's this warning: PENALTY FOR UNDERSTATEMENT is, in principle, imposed when an amended return is filed after submission of a return within the due date, or when the District Director of the Tax Office makes a correction because of deficient tax declaration... Provided that the increased tax amount of exceeds either the tax amount filed within the due date or 500,000 (yen), whichever is larger.

So I'm going to be fined 4 grand.

They're very much welcome to try and fine me four thousand pounds, because I don't actually have four grand.  Go for it Japan, try your best.  (Please don't steal from me, Japanese Government.)  That last part was capitalised because the 'District Director of the Tax Office,' felt it necessary to emphasise his own importance.  Fat bastard.

There are millions of exemptions very specific to this region.  One of them is health insurance (not unique, but the percentage of cost covered versus amount paid, will certainly be specific to Japan) along with life insurance (why do you get exemptions for that?) and earthquake insurance.  That last one made me laugh, because everyone would presumably buy into that, and the country would go broke every time there's a quake.  Oh wait, they are broke.  Never mind.

Anyway, everyone in Japan is really old, and everyone is single.  The men are so disgusting as to be repellent for everyone and everything - while the women are insular to the point of demonic vanity.  Don't believe me?  Check out this article from the BBC.

Obviously this is going to mean huge taxes.  There's no way it can end any other way.

The funny thing, when I tell people here that the high earners in England pay 40%, they balk.  Now that I've perused the tax system; their high earners pay 40% too!  Of course VAT here is 5%, not 20%.  Of course, they don't pay taxes on breathing, we do.  Of course ancillary taxes in England are massive, whereas they're moderate here.  I guess no one here earns any money (hence why no one has ever seen the 40% tax, and why the extra taxes are so small (they'll never get any money out of them if no one buys anything!)).

Poor Bastards.

No comments:

Post a Comment