Sunday, 10 July 2011

Favourite Quotes

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers." 


— Socrates

This made me laugh because of the obvious parallels with modern life, and the fact that life is always more terrible and dangerous now than it was 'when I were a lad.'

Of course England is safer now than it was fifty years ago, but let's forget that for now.

Anyway, I just administered about thirty students worth of speaking tests for a class.  Let me put it this way, if they were stranded in England, they would be dead in under a week.  'What's your name?'

Student 1:  'uhm.'
Student 2:  'ah.'
Student 3:  'hmmm.'
Student 4:  'Like tomato.'
Student 5:  'sah ne.'

Generally, I am not surprised.  Disappointed, but not surprised.

Then again, I should probably record some of these and have awesome quotes for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment