Sunday 10 July 2011

Favourite Quotes

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers." 


 Socrates

This made me laugh because of the obvious parallels with modern life, and the fact that life is always more terrible and dangerous now than it was 'when I were a lad.'

Of course England is safer now than it was fifty years ago, but let's forget that for now.

Anyway, I just administered about thirty students worth of speaking tests for a class.  Let me put it this way, if they were stranded in England, they would be dead in under a week.  'What's your name?'

Student 1:  'uhm.'
Student 2:  'ah.'
Student 3:  'hmmm.'
Student 4:  'Like tomato.'
Student 5:  'sah ne.'

Generally, I am not surprised.  Disappointed, but not surprised.

Then again, I should probably record some of these and have awesome quotes for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment