Sunday 24 April 2011

Sending Rice to China

Every so often I'll receive a parcel from my parents.  Inside will often be something vital for survival (bright orange shoes) and chocolate.  With the shoes, for example, were numerous packets of melted chocolate.  There were still liquid when I put them in the fridge; but my apetite for sweets overtook the solidifying process and while the outside was hard, the inside was still liquid.  This is an amazing combination, by the way, and if you have time I suggest you buy a bar and try it yourself.  You won't be disappointed.

This time, however, there were no essential items.  Mum sent me foodstuffs only, the likes of which baffled, surprised, amazed and bamboozled me, in equal measure.

The staple foodstuff of Asia (and consequently the majority of the world population) is rice.  This is heavily supplemented with noodles.  I don't specifically know the occasion for eating noodles over rice (for example, as posh nosh) but they eat it a lot.  Ramen (pot noodles) are massive business here; with each supermarket having microwaves and hot water dispensers dedicated to customers who want to eat the instant noodles they bought, right there in the shop.

So, for a reason beyond my imagining, and resulting in me laughing in the middle of a meeting (garnering some serious, disapproving looks) mum sent me some instant noodles.  I'm still smiling now.

These noodles, coupled with the pastry cheese twists and pringles have kept me smiling all day.  It was lucky she sent the pringles, because I missed breakfast this morning.  Pringles are also available in abundance (ruddy expensive though) although they're somewhat smaller than their western brethren.

This veritable feast was topped off with some mint chocolates.

Fantastic.

By the way, this is my face when I saw what was in the package.


Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment