Tuesday 26 April 2011

Notes on Gym Class

So I just watched a gym class conducted by a Japanese teacher.  Obviously there was no English involvement within the lesson, and I understood very little of what was being said; but the comparison with England is striking.

Todays lesson was entirely based around timing the kids in a 50m sprint.  Presumably, the information garnered from today will be compared with data collected at some arbitrary point in the future.

What struck me, is that Japanese kids can't run.  Jesus they can't run.  At best they look awkward while running, at worst they look like paraplegic invertebrates.  No effort was expended on the part of the Japanese teachers in correcting their styles, so I must assume that either the teacher doesn't care, he had never seen a 100m sprint on television, or this is the accepted method for quickly getting from A to B without a bicycle or car.  Frankly, I'm astonished.

I have been told that I look like a puppet when I'm running, with an upright back and robotic limbs - but I try my damndest to follow the instruction given to us by our teachers.  As far as I know, this is the fastest method of locomotion available to me, using only my legs.  It may be the case that I could run faster, but I've grown to like this style.  The point is, rightly or wrongly, I have adopted a style taught to me by my teachers, and at the time it improved my overall speed.  These kids have been taught nothing, and will continue to endanger those around them with flailing limbs (not to mention failing to get the most out of their bodies.)  I don't expect everyone to run the 100m gracefully, or quickly, but one kid ought to be able to, and every kid has the right to learn (whether they accept the teaching or not).

To give you an idea of what they look like, check out this video.  Then look at this picture.  Note, their arms don't move up and down like ours when we run, they just hang there, out at the side.  The problem is, this is an unsustainable position, and they end up wobbling all over the place.  In no logical society should this style be adopted.  It's mental.  Maybe this stuff flies in Korea, but it shouldn't be legal anywhere else.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha

    what's Korea got to do with it?

    ReplyDelete