Thursday 14 April 2011

Flague

So for my first week I`m working with another ALT, one who has been here for six years, doing the same job, day in, day out.  As I understand the situation, he`s been in the same schools too.  He has no girlfriend, and seemingly no friends.  He`s american, an american christian (that is to say, he`s about as christian as a pet) and a generally benign guy.  Luckily he`s not preachy, but he is extremely loud.  He`s the loudest american I`ve ever met, and considering the general lack of consideration evident in americans, that`s saying a lot.

He simply lacks the ability to control himself in any way.  He`s not fat, but he is devoid of any manners.  He snatches things, shouts at you from a foot away (I`ve more headaches in the past week than six months prior), talks over you (even if you started talking first) and is has a generally annoying air.  It`s true what sane Japanese think about most of the foreigners working in Japan; we`re outcasts from our own society.  Outcast for a number of reasons, resulting in a generally annoying regiment of foreigners tending towards Japan.

To a certain extent it`s apparent in Korea too.  Must be something to do with the women here (generally annoying, nerdy bastard men, not women)

I hope I`ve not turned that annoying (I must share some common trait with these people, which frightens me if I`m honest), or were originally that bad.

So the title is probably quite confusing.  This guy reached the height of annoyance when he pronounced flag as  above.  Flague.  Like plague.  Or vague.  Flague.  Seriously.

He then had the gall to call me weird for not pronouncing it like that; citing the entirety of america being his equal in this particular pronunciation.

Not only have I never heard another yank say it this way, I`ve never even comprehended the possibility of it being pronounced this way.

This continued.  Bag, in his world, is bague, stag (the deer) is stague... and so it continues.  I think he has autism or something.

So... very... annoying...

Luckily I only have to work with him for one more day, then I`m on my own.  This suits me perfectly, as it takes a special kind of moron to live in Japan.  I`m happy being that moron - just by myself.

*EDIT*

So my bike has its' eighteenth puncture in as many minutes.  To maintain their industry, the purveyors of all things bike related have designed nuts that aren't standard, meaning you must take it back to the manufacturer every time a valve goes.  (This has already happened to my piece of shit bike).

Fifthwings, my company, have furnished me with this bike primarily so I can travel for 45 minutes to one of my schools; every Friday.  I don't mind the distance, especially at this time of year - it's a thoroughly pleasant ride.

What I object to, is their requirement that I pay the 15 pounds for my bike to be fixed every time something goes wrong.  Do they want me turning up to my schools?  If they do, they'd better start coughing up some money or parts.  Considering I've had this bike a week and it's already cost me 20 pounds (a quarter of the amount it's worth, if you're interested) doesn't bode well.  Especially if fifthwings keep playing silly assholes about it.

It's all the more galling considering the amount I'm being paid.  It's about 60,000 yen less than the going rate for someone doing my job.  Convert that into pounds in google.

3 comments:

  1. god bless america(ns)...

    keep up the writing, it makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't even know how to spell colour... ;/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blog is looking good, keep it up

    ReplyDelete