Friday 8 April 2011

Entrance Ceremony

So the entrance ceremony was today.  Needless to say, it was long and efficient.  Patience is a virtue in all matters here, it seems.

Firstly, I sat with all the new teachers for roughly an hour, while the school head teacher, mayor (or some such city official) the deputy head, the head of each of the departments and some specially selected kids gave speeches.  Individually they weren't long; but collectively they were taxing.  Before each person spoke we had to bow, and after each person spoke we had to bow.  This includes standing up and sitting down each time.  Tiring.

Then the new teachers were ushered onto the stage to bow in front of the students.  We were introduced individually, mine being a particularly drawn out affair.  I don't know why, he said something about me being English and from London.  That aside, it was relatively mundane.  This happened an hour into the ceremony.

We then sat down in our original positions (I don't know how long for) and waited.  After that, there was a ton of sitting around and waiting in the teachers room.  I was tasked with literally no work, so I busied myself with my university application, and asking those around for help finding local university libraries.  From a personal perspective, it was extremely productive.  From an education prospective, it was not.

I hope this trend continues, because I will be able to do monumental amounts of work here, if I'm tasked with the same workload as today.

In radioactive news; we had a magnitude 7.0 earthquake some 200km offshore yesterday.  No tsunami's that I know of.  A tsunami, for those are wondering, is caused by tectonic activity.  A tidal wave is caused by lunar or solar interaction with the ocean.

The quake lasted for around a minute all told.  It built up slowly (a trend I've noticed with the earthquakes here) and lasted for a long time.  Long enough to smash one of my glasses and force me out of bed to lay my computer and TV flat - you suddenly find out what your priorities are when something like this occurs.

Another interesting fact - before I came here I assumed earthquakes were quick events that happened over a period of seconds.  It turns out that the big earthquake a few weeks ago lasted for three minutes.  In the same way, it built up from minor shaking to become a massive earthquake.  The sixth biggest in recorded history.  That's huge.

The reactors are all being scrapped after they've been secured.  It appears that only one of the reactors is causing the headaches you can read about in the newspapers; the others are either secure or posing little risk. The one that's leaking everywhere, however, is burning holes wherever it touches.  Workers are being paid about 700 pounds a day to solve all the problems.  Of course, those workers will be dead in ten years, so, frankly, I think 700 pounds is too little.  The company in charge is taking advantage of the Japanese 'it's my fault, so I will kill myself to rectify the problem,' mentality.  On the one hand it's a crying shame that these people are sacrificing themselves for this; on the other it's amazing they would willingly choose to do so.  I don't know many people that would be willing to wade up to their knees in radioactive water to fix a leaking pipe.

The world can't run on oil forever, and using solar, wind or wave energy is, frankly, delusional.  Therefore, I guess the Japanese will have to build their power stations on top of bouncy castles or some such earthquake-proof device.

It's interesting to note that the reactors themselves were initially unharmed, it's only the cooling systems that failed.  Once a reactor is started, the cooling systems keep the temperatures at nominal levels - it's an ongoing reaction that lasts as long as the fuel does.  Once it's started, it doesn't stop.  There are emergency backups, but it would seem to me that the actual nuclear reactor technology is safer than people would imagine.  They've just got to invent a way of supercooling the reaction much faster than they were able to this time around.

Also, these reactors are forty years old.  I wonder how a reactor today differs?

P.S My water is not radioactive.

2 comments:

  1. also - based on the Chernobyl incident - the workers will probably be OK - during the event the news was full of catastrophic doom mongering about the life expectancy of people within, well on earth just about - the subsequent historical review shows that the people who did suffer were those thrown in within the first few days (basically an uncovered reactor leaking god knows what) - the rest of the workers and the local population have seemingly come out of it with little long term damage to people's health. It's also worth noting that the original people fodder had little or no protective clothing. I bet the Japanese have lots of protection so I imagine their long term effects will be much less than Chernobyl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. take a look at the fault line Japan is on - it's pretty immense - http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/map/google_map_japan.htm

    ReplyDelete