Friday 23 December 2011

Panic Stations!

So I just had a powercut.

Nothing particularly remarkable about that, especially considering this wasn't a weather based cut, but one from ghostly apparitions flicking the switch on my fuse box.

It turns out that running my microwave, PC and a heater is too much.

Previously, I found out that running my PC, air conditioner and hoover were too much - but I digress.

I groped my way to the box, flicking the switch with some effort.  Everything turned back on except the PC, so I went to press life into it.  Alas, nothing happened.

Panic set in, and I whipped out the PSU.  About fifty presses later and nothing was happening.  I gave up, put it on the side (still fully attached) and with a last gasp, I pressed the power button.  To my surprise it worked.  I let it get past BIOS (to ensure the mobo, cpu and mem were fine) then turned it off again.  I loaded the PSU back into the case and turned it back on.  Everything fine.  I then screwed it into the case, turned on the computer and sat back; to a blank screen.

Oh.

I threw logic out of the window and surmised that the screws must have shorted.  I took it out of the PC and nothing happened.I repeated the same process as before to no avail.

I was about to crack open the myriad christmas presents I have on the floor (to entertain me during this long, bleak afternoon) when it fired up.  Now I'm sitting here completely perplexed.

I was previously running the heater and PC on the same bar, so I've split them up, I don't know if that will stop this from recurring, but it makes me feel better inside.

I wonder whether it's an overheating issue?  If the heater and PC are fighting for leccy on the same bar, does that cause it to 'work harder,' (obviously it's an inanimate object, so it doesn't 'try,' to do anything) to get the juice it needs?

Combined (at full juice) my heater and PC need 1500 watts (plus 2 screens and speakers), which seems like quite a lot to me.

Thoughts are very much welcome as to why it wouldn't load up, and ways of avoiding this issue in the future.

I checked the program I was running at the time, no corrupt files, bonus!

I'm going out for a half hour run now, of course I'll turn the computer off in case it goes all arsonist on me.

The PSU doesn't smell funny either, which suggests to me that it's not overheating.  I don't know.

6 comments:

  1. haha computers eh? Who needs 'em? Your diagnosis and recovery processes intrigue me, though they do feel kind of familiar...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6 Amps, (assuming 240V of course...) not much really, not enough to knockout a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you get to 6 amps? Is there a formula for it? (It would help allay fears next time I'm plugging my hairdryer in, if you could share it with us all).

    ReplyDelete
  4. didn't you do physics my boy - you said 1500 watts (power) and assuming 240v (voltage) using the formula: power=current x voltage to get the current transpose the formula to get: current=power/voltage = 1500/250 (250 is easier to work with) you get 6 amps. It's not that clear cut because it's ac and there's all sorts of stuff going on) but it's near enough for your purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. then you do the same calculation using the lower voltage which means you'd get higher current - around double if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete