Saturday 10 December 2011

Let's Not Go Then

So today is one of the public open days for the Tokyo Motor Show.  It's one of the biggest shows, if not the biggest motor show in the world, and I have a ticket to go.  So am I writing this from inside the giant convention centre?

No, I'm sat at home because I missed the train.

I was at the convenience store buying some breakfast (I'm so sick to my stomach at my own stupidity that I can't even eat that which I bought) when a bent-double old lady appeared.  She was slower than a snail riding a tortoise, but being the gentleman, I let her go ahead of me in the queue (she's spent about ten minutes sidling up to the queue, so technically she was already in it, I guess).

She paid, incredibly slowly I might add, and went on her slow merry way.

So I reach the train station just as the crossing signals were blaring, and had to watch behind closed barriers as my train pulled up to the platform, loaded passengers, and trundled past me.

Very occasionally I get extremely angry, upset, annoyed, frustrated and sad all at once.  When this happens, I tend to become extremely lethargic, so upon being a moron (i.e being nice to the old lady in the shop, as everyone knows that only idiots are nice) I got home and just zoned out in front of the TV for at least an hour.  I still haven't eaten, but I'll get round to it eventually.  There are no fast food restaurants around here, so luckily I can't get a pizza or takeaway.

Every cloud has a silver lining however, and this particular lining is multi-faceted.  Firstly, I don't have to spend the day with those whom I don't want to, plus I don't have to spend over a hundred quid (in train fares, admissions, food, and the Tokyo Gaijin rugby club awards ceremony in Tokyo.).

The downsides are simple: I can't go to the rugby club party (something I actually wanted to do earlier in the week), which undermines my whole effort to integrate (previous attempts include ripping hamstrings in order to prove I'm keen to play for them) and will probably ensure I'm sidelined come January; I won't be able to buy everyone their presents, or their christmas cards.  Christ knows when that's going to happen, now.

There's nothing to be done, I guess.  Except, of course, sit here seething.

I can do that with aplomb.

3 comments:

  1. there's no 'oh dear' reaction box up there so here it is -

    oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could somehow script that reaction onto this page I would!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's not a nice sentiment for those at home...

    ReplyDelete