Tuesday 7 December 2010

So Much Table Tennis

So we met a Korean down the gym today.  He plays amazing table tennis.

Essentially he kicked the two Korean guys (who we were playing) off the table and started kicking us all over the table.  I played him to eleven twice, the first time I got two points, the second time I got seven.

This isn't a fair indication of our relative abilities, he was infinitely better than us.

He then proceeded to berate us, throwing all kinds of shots at us, telling us to forehand topspin everything back to him.  At first I thought it was arrogance, simply showing that he was better than us.  After half an hour of beating the orange from the ball though, I realised he was just training us.  My partner left, leaving me to continue battering the ball for another forty minutes.

As a result, I now have an extremely competent (and powerful) forehand topspin.  There's also an extremely discoloured matte part of my bat, on the forehand side.

If I can work on my backhand topspin, I think I'll be a force to be reckoned with.

The way my colleagues play is short and finicky, so we don't get much chance to practice the long game; so this was a refreshing change of pace.

A nice Korean! (Kind of)

No comments:

Post a Comment