Thursday 1 July 2010

Ubuntu 10.4 LTS (Netbook Edition)

Just to preface this post, I hate Windows.  It breaks all the time, there's a particularly terrible form of DRM running through the whole thing, and I generally despise the lack of customisation available.  All linux has to do at this point is work.  It doesn't have to work well, it doesn't have to game, it doesn't even have to look nice or be intuitive to use.  It just has to work.

It does not.

The old versions of Ubuntu (9.04 and 9.10) did not boot properly.  From the outset I would have to boot the computer four or five times to get a prompt.  It would then work slowly for an hour, and crash.  I would then reboot four or five times and get back in.  I'm pretty patient, so I was fine with wasting my life looking at a black screen holding random errors.  It's been like this for a year, so I decided to upgrade to the new Ubuntu, as it's more stable, and generally much faster than the previous version where, Canonical have themselves admitted they dropped the ball somewhat.

The new version is amazing.  Instead of four reboots, it now takes fifteen or more to reach the login prompt.  When I do reach the prompt I can load a web browser, or I can load an instant messenger, or I can load Skype.  The internet immediately becomes unavailable to all other internet using programmes until I reboot, which takes half an hour or more of hoping and praying.  The whole system runs like a dog, which considering the fact that all netbooks are internally identical, strikes me as a dumb move on Canonicals' part, because the performance I'm experiencing, you will also experience on your netbook.  (They're all internally identical)

I could wax lyrical about the flaws in the new Ubuntu, suffice it to say, don't 'upgrade.'  You will kick yourself.

They even moved the close application 'X' from the top right to the top left, to make it more like a Mac.  Alienate your Windows converts in order to grab a market share that is notoriously loyal; great move there, Canonical.

No comments:

Post a Comment