Thursday 22 July 2010

Entering the Wireless Free Zone

It has recently become painfully apparent to me that wireless technology needs to improve quickly.

The main purpose of wireless in the UK is to  enable many devices to connect to the internet, without the need for extremely long cables.  This is fine in the UK, where the current fastest internet tops out at a notional 50mb/s.  Korea doesn't have wireless.  Wireless routers are sold in the shops, but nowhere near as heavily.  I don't know the reason for this, but I would imagine it has something to do with the 100mb/s internet connection I'm using at the moment.

In the big cities they can get gigabit internet.  Wireless technology is about a decade away from a sustained throughput of this magnitude.  Supposing I obtained the latest N router, and a wireless card of the same ilk, I could reasonably expect a burst throughput of 100mb/s.  That would be sustained for all of a nanosecond, before the connection settled down into what could be reasonably expected.  This equates to a fraction of that, so all that extra speed would go to waste.  If you connect a second computer, then the overheads of constantly accepting, verifying and error checking both streams would take a percentage of the throughput away again.  Forget about media streaming, at least of any high-def content.

So I'm stuck with wires all over my room.  My complaint isn't aesthetic, I could care less what my room looks like.  Besides, the wires are primarily hidden underneath the piles of clothes.  It's the ever present trip hazard that concerns me.  I've fallen over dozens of times, even though I've routes the cables to the very extremities of the room.  This problem would be solved should I get a bone-fide router, instead of a 1980's styled single output modem, as I could tape the myriad wires to the floor and be done with it.  As it stands, I'm too tight to procure a router.

Thinking about it, I could play on my PS3 and talk on MSN at the same time if I did that...  Maybe I should invest in a dodgy old second hand junker.

In reply to the anonymous poster on an earlier thread, apparently you can't escape reality.  Or maybe I haven't tried hard enough yet.

1 comment: