Tuesday 22 December 2009

Running and the Post...

Please read to the bottom for a funny story I saw.

As has been typical lately, I went for a run.  Two things differed from the established norms on this occasion however, as I took a camera, and it there was snow in the air, and on the ground.

If you've ever run for more than twenty seconds on snow, you'll know it shares a similar feel to another unstable substance; that being sand.  Unless you've never run on sand, in which case you might like to know that it feels similar to snow.

So because of the inordinate quantities we've been having, I decided to capture a few more images.


I took these while running along, so forgive the camera shake.

Even after a solid pace I was cold, leading me to suspect that my thermal shirt, t-shirt, thermal undies, swimming shorts, bank robber woolly hat AND my fleece were insufficient for this weather.

Had I not left for Japan, and were I still those many kilograms heavier, I feel a pair of briefs would have sufficed.  Now that my bones are a mere skin-depth from the elements, the cold holds a much greater fear for me.




As you will have no doubt spotted, my camera thinks that snow makes the world blue.  While it does depress everyone on the news, it takes it somewhat more literally.

Hopefully the next photograph will dispel the myth that I live underwater.







This one does manage to take us away from the seabed, but it does give the impression that the (n)th apocalypse is coming.

Again, taken on the move, I should probably stand still and take one at a later date.

At the time of writing this, it's -5 degrees outside though, so as you can imagine, even during the day with the ample sunlight (evidenced by this picture) present in England, standing still for more than ten seconds is hazardous for ones' health.


I had to include one with a little motion blur involved to show you the tremendous speeds I was travelling at this stage.

The lateral blur is indicative of a shaking hand, possibly moving from right to left in order to increase the feeling of speed...

But of course, that cannot be confirmed.




This is the long and lonely road I tread to the stomping ground of fitness that is a disused green belt, surrounding this here town.

It functions as a... as a... as something.

It also has plentiful pull-up, dip and sit-up facilities (if one uses his/her imagination!) to increase the overall efficiency of a workout.

It is however, and I'm not making this up, (in a 'the fish I caught was thiiiiiiiiiiis big kind of way) ruddy steep.  You run down all the way there.  Great workout.  Even better for the mind, as you must overcome this fact on the way back.  Food for the body, mind and soul then, this running malarky.


I don't know whether this one is in focus.

I don't care.

It has lots of snow, and the wrong colour sky.  It wasn't this colour.  No filters were applied, apart from the rose coloured kind fostered by love.

Of course I'm in no such state, I can only surmise therefore, that my camera has had a funny turn.  If it were a horse, it would be dog food or glue by now, but such is the way of electronics that they cannot be put out of their misery quite so easily as a shotgun to the face.

Yes.  Horses have faces too.  Think of that, the next time you try to glue something to another thing.


And when I happened upon the about-turn area, I also came across a few giant snow people men.

It's quite interesting to see the level of craftsmanship involved.

Nary a detail was missed, and it's great to see the artisans of snowcraft are thriving throughout the town.

It's also funny to imagine the (statistically speaking, rather likely to be) fat kids trying to lift a mere fraction of their own bodyweight in snow above their heads.





This is actually taken at an approximation of the correct angle.

The wicked Michael Jackson style Gangster Lean, as it shall now be known, looks set to end this mans' life  prematurely.

I shall find out, dear reader, if this snowman survived, when I go for my next run.









This family lacks the individual quality of the solo Gangster member, but does hold something of the wonderment that is christmas.

Well, to anyone who thinks that the biggest box will have the best presents, this picture is christmassy.

You need a sense of scale to appreciate how much effort went into these bad boys.

(Children avert your eyes)



I understand that this photo is awful.  I also understand that, side-on, I look something akin to a kipper on the ocean floor.

I wasn't even pretending to be short when eyeballing this guy, he really is that well made.

Kudos to whomever chose to dedicate their time to such an endeavour!


One more of the family and its' terminally ill falling son.

Hopefully he'll find his legs someday.
















The footprints of an unidentified creature.  Any trackers out there who want the chance to hunt the famed yeti, here it is.

Or it's a rabbit.

Rabbits aren't as good for hunting based tourism though right.




----------------------------------------------------


We switch gears now as I received an early present from Japan.

What could be inside this bag?

If the person just off-camera would stop asking, they might live through the night.

Anyway.

Inside this case was...








This bear porch.  (As written on the customs declaration)

It's a bag, presumably a pouch of some kind.

I simply must ask this question.  If you're a mid-level learner of a language, why would you know the word 'pouch' sufficiently to recall it?  Spelling aside, I estimate a forty year lagtime between now, and me knowing the equivalent word in any language.

Exceptional, if somewhat redundant, knowledge is on display here.

Inside the pouch was a small keyring adornment that plays the '1-up' tune from Mario.  Random?  For you this may well be the case.  For me and those involved however, it is only slightly less random.  Crazy, but simultaneously, crazy-awesome.


Best christmas card ever!

Sorry, but no amount of tinsel, or annoying shimmering flakey stuff can make up for the ten thousand mile trip this card took.

Fine wines age, christmas cards that voyage assume a similar air of importance!  Cards cannot be accused of being pompous however, which is nice.




Many pictures today!



And here is the funny story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8424836.stm

This is the reason why the world laughs at America.  Those who are there now, seriously, be careful.  Once people become deathly afraid of snow, you have to ask yourself whether the money present in America is worth your life.  Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment