Tuesday 14 May 2013

Tokyo 7's


So I went to the Tokyo 7's this year.  The weather was better than last year, but not by much.  I didn't get to see the finals for reasons that I can't remember, but one of the guys had a friend who was taking pictures inside the press area, so I accompanied him while England were playing.  I got to see one of the finals against Argentina, and the team collect their trophy.  It was super nice of him, and it was a pretty unique experience.

Earlier I'd accompanied another TGRFC member to the press conference and got to ask the captains of Fiji, Samoa and New Zealand some questions.  They are all incredibly boring people.  Their answers were so dull that I can't even remember what I asked them.  God they are boring people.  Seriously.

Anyway, onto the pictures!


This is the legend Dan Norton.  I'm pretty sure he scored in that game, as he scores in most.  I believe he's the overall leading try scorer, not just for this year, but ever.


This is one of the Argentinian props.  I met him outside the hotel, and we had a quick chat.  Him and one of his colleagues were impressed by how clean Tokyo is.  They were real characters, and genuinely nice people.  Good luck to them in the future!


I took a few pictures of the crowd in such a way to make it look crowded, but by the other pictures you can tell that very few people turned up.  When the world cup rolls around, Japan is going to have embarassing attendences.


Another of the England flyers breaks out from his own try line.  Luckily a fight broke out right where I was standing, so they didn't advance very far, and I could take a number of pictures.


The man of the year, eating ramen.  Not healthy!  How will he get the award this year if he's fat?


This is the stereotypical shot of the Japanese team being beaten.  I mean playing.  I mean playing a losing.  By a lot.  It would be better if there were more people in the opposite stands, but they'd all be foreigners anyway.  No one in Japan likes rugby.


Tagged just before sneaking into the corner.  This picture is cropped pretty heavily so the quality is quite poor, but I like the three key members being mostly in focus and centre of the frame.


Another black and white of Dan Norton.  He really is the man.


The presentation of the shield or plate, I forget which competition they won, I only know it wasn't the important one.  Gutted.

1 comment:

  1. it's so good to have your blog back - no stopping this time!

    ReplyDelete