Monday 3 February 2014

Zetsubun

Happy Chinese new year!

So it's Chinese new year which means a lot of people (really, an awful lot) are having holidays right now. Being in the workaholics country of choice that means of course we will not have a holiday, but we do get to throw beans around.

The long remembered of you may recall that this is the time of year during which people throw beans out of the windows and doors of the house to scare away devils. Or rather, THE devil. Obviously, this is more of a tradition passed down to children (young children) so naturally I was privy to a demonstration this year. And last year. And the year before.

But what the hey, at least I got to eat some nuts (which I don't really like but it's free food so...)

Anyway, in less bizarre news, I went to a shrine over the weekend. I took a few pictures, which will arrive upon ye blog at some point in the future - probably within the week.

In more disgusting news, today is the day of incredible disease (obviously people didn't throw their nuts out of the window hard enough) because one of my 8 classes today (tiny little kids, so only 25 minutes per class) had nine people absent, the others all had at least one. I also have a cold. AND ONE LITTLE TREASURE VOMITED IN MY CLASSROOM. What in the world was he drinking last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment