Monday 17 December 2012

Tokyo Gaijin Christmas Party

So the Tokyo Gaijin had their end of year Christmas party.  I went along in my training gear, everyone else being somewhat more traditionally attired.

Honestly, I can't stand ties and shirts - what's the goddamned point?  People tell me it looks good.  Why?  What makes a suit, shirt, tie and shoes more appealing than a T-shirt?  Your preconceptions as to what 'good,' is, nothing more.

Anyway, rant over.

I had a great time, and I won a couple of awards.  I got the best tackle of the year award for smashing an all-France prop.  The write up is here.  For this effort I got a brilliant new shirt listing the countries that have contributed players to the Gaijin team throughout the years.  It's fantastically designed - but the best part is that Nikola Pavesic, one of the many great players on our team and the only Croatian, was unfortunately relegated to the armpit.  At first we couldn't find Croatia at all; only when I raised my arm did we stumble across it.

It turns out that the Gaijin are the only entity on earth that officially recognise the basque as sovereign.  Take that, United Nations!

We have a fair play award, taken by an American by the name of Bryan O'Brien.  He went all american when he was announced for the award, which was ironic considering it's essentially for the calmest player.  I, on the other hand, felt the expectation that being a big tough manly man, I should shout and holler for the biggest hit award.

The only two players representing the basque walked away with their own awards.  One was the inaugural 'running twenty metres backwards and then losing the ball on our own try-line,' award.  I can't imagine many people winning that one in the future.

The other was dirtiest player.  Considering how often we get sent off during matches, I thought it was going to be a close call.  It was a shoe-in for the Basque man however, as he seems to bottle the anger and rage, generally leaving it on the field.

The other award I won was a joint one - most tries for the year.  I managed 18 during the matches I played (I was often away with Lion) and tied with another player with whom I can't recall playing a single game this year.  Basically, whenever I wasn't playing, he was and vice versa.  Thirty-six tries for the pair of us.  Not bad.  We were going to arm wrestle for it, but somehow everyone forgot.  The other player is a 115kg Fijian who I'd imagine eats entire boar for supper.  Normally I wouldn't be shy about trying my luck, but a twenty kg difference is an awful lot.

Arguably the most important award is the players player of the year.  Everyone gets two votes, and the person with the most votes get a brilliant tankard.  I came fifth overall (they counted down the top 5) but the winner was our flanker, vice-captain and general nice guy.  He won it last year too, which is bloody rubbish.  It's mine next year!

It was great fun, and having recently sprained my ankle, pulled a hamstring and hurt my knee, I decided to drink a few beers.  The first time I've done that in a long, long time.  The trains stop ridiculously early in Tokyo, so we ended up staying out all night; taking the early trains home.

I have literally no idea how people can be so enthusiastic by the end of such a night.  I was a goddamned zombie.  I'm pretty sure I fell asleep a couple of times.

Anyway, onto the pictures.


This is the guy with whom I shared the top try scorer award.


This is Gareth doing what I'm pretty sure happened to me a couple of times.  A much improved player from the start of the year, he's really found his stride and I'm sure he's a shoe-in for most improved player next year.


Big Joe with the ears that went around the whole party.


The winner of the 'going backwards twenty metres,' award.


Accepting the best tackle.  Shit speech but I'd already drunk a lot by this point so...


The captain of the team who's let me stay round his house a few times the night before matches. Thanks!


The girls who help everyone out on match day.  One of them recently had a baby so the girl looking quizzically at the kettle, wondering what kind of kitchen utensils women use these days, is actually accepting it on her behalf.  Also, interestingly enough, a contender for the dirtiest player of the year award - you wouldn't think it to look at him.


Lockie, a new recruit from Oz, constantly pretending to be Japanese.


I'm really poor at the group photograph.  I've read a few books that suggest developing a niche for yourself in order to create an identity.  Something that if not unique, you pride yourself in.  Group photographs are not that thing.


The winner of the players player.  Smug bastard!  Next year it will be mine!


Apisai Bati on the right is actually a chef - he prepared the various meats we ate during the party.  The place was really expensive, but damn it was awesome.


Just after getting the award.  How awesome is that shirt right?!?!


The eventual winner of the dirtiest player of the year award.   Yeah...


Me and big Joe getting the tries scored award.


Two of the Japanese guys.  Koba, the guy on the right, is actually a prop.  When you see him in person you immediately understand why.


The same crappy speech, (photograph courtesy of Matt Downer, thanks!) now in b/w!


There were a lot of locals dressed up for Christmas.  I have no idea why.  Also, why would you dress up as a horse?


Having to drink during the tries award.


I've also included photographs I like just because, and this is one of them.


Mojee, with the ears that everyone had on at some stage.


And those ears again.


Possibly the most amazing hair you will ever see.


An entirely unrelated picture that I came into possession of recently.  Thanks be to the man who took it (I can't type his name in Japanese, it's too difficult!  Sorry.)


The chef Bati, the smile is free but the food most certainly isn't.


For the ladies.


Rich, the smiling Welshman and Hitomi, the smiling Japanese girl.


Never try to take a picture in front of a great big bright Christmas tree.  It will not work.  Unfortunately I didn't figure that out until after I took the picture.  Whoops.


5 comments:

  1. ears? ears? their antlers you maniac

    great pics, though

    ReplyDelete
  2. derr - they're not their! sorry

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK - so how many counties in england?

    ReplyDelete
  4. who knows? anywhere from 36 to 54...

    ReplyDelete