Tuesday 26 May 2015

Check These Out


Check 'em.

 
 
So these are my melons.  Check 'em.
 
The ones closest to the camera don't look particularly healthy, for some reason those ones really do not like the wind, whereas the ones further away have adapted by just spreading to the floor.
 
Since this picture was taken (two days ago) they've filled in the spaces between themselves, attempting to kill each other to try and steal all the light.  I'm of two minds with regards to this.  Firstly, I shouldn't have planted two plants per bag but the girlfriend threatened to murder me on account of 'wasting soil,' so the compromise was putting two plants in.  I don't think either of us realised just how rampant they could get.  Let's just hope they'll be okay as long as I feed them a ton and give them all the water.
 
Secondly the competition is probably a good thing at early stages, but now they need to get as big as possible to give me enormous melons, so the competition for space and light probably isn't a good thing now.
 
I honestly don't know how many melons or of what size to expect.  Or even if I should expect melons at all, considering they haven't even flowered yet.
 
I wonder whether I should cut a hole on either side of the current big square, in order to ensure all the roots are getting at least some water.  I feel like it's a waste to just keep watering the exposed middle square, as a lot of the roots will just be hanging around in completely dry soil on either side.
 
I assume feeding the centre is okay, because that's where the greatest concentration of roots will be.
 
But really, who can tell in this economy?


No comments:

Post a Comment