Sunday 30 August 2015

The Votes Are In

So I went to a Summer festival a month ago, and managed to take a few pictures with a 35mm camera.  As you might expect there were duffers, but I think a fair number turned out alright.  Tell me what you think.


Don't ask what that powder is.


Of course it's been long established that no one likes black and white photographs, but I can't stop myself.  I really like them!


If these pictures were in colour you'd notice the kids drab clothes, but they're not so you don't.  These guys wouldn't stop staring at me (it was a really rural festival so I doubt they've seen many whiteys) so I decided to take a picture.  Unfortunately their mum made them do the 2 finger peace thing which is a shame because that universally ruins every photograph ever.


This dude was chillin' because it was rather hot.  I can imagine it being way worse at the top there, not being allowed to come down.


This festival appears to be about drinking a lot of alcohol then pushing bloody great one ton carts around town.  When they need to turn the thing they need to up and drag it around in a circle.  They have wooden wheels and no steering, so you end up with great pictures like this one.


There are tons of lamps around the place even during the day.  I think it's because they look cool.


Each shrine has a procession accompanying it, including the town old boys who chill out and drink at the back.


Each shrine has different patterns and designs, often but not always involving dragons.


This is my favourite photograph from the festival, and one of my favourites ever.  I wish I was as cool as him.


At night they take the shrines to a local town (pushed all the way of course) and spin it on the spot a dozen times.  It's hard work, especially after hefting the damn things around for 2 days.  After spinning they push them all the way back home.


This is one of the carts with nighttime adornments.  That's where all the lamps go when they're not being carried by hand.


On a different note, this is a duck.

This is another one of my all-time favourite photographs ever.  You'll have to guess where it was taken.  Two internet points if you get it right.  It's very orange but after colour correcting it didn't quite look right, so I put it back this way.  For some reason the colour is intrinsic to the feel of the image, kind of nostalgic perhaps?

Anyway, I went to another festival today but didn't have much time to take pictures so I probably didn't get anything worth uploading.  If, by some miracle they're not all blurred messes I'll put them up sometime in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment