Sunday 13 May 2018

I Caught Another Fish!

So I went fishing again, and caught another fish.  I didn't lose any equipment either, so that means I got another one over the fish gods.  5-2 to Poseidon, as it currently stands.

My planted strawberry pot is also coming along nicely.  I've had a few strawberries off it so far, and although I'm not really expecting a bumper crop it's nice to go out there and find something nice to nibble occasionally.


There are four different varieties in there, each fruiting at different times.  The ones that are out now are the least prolific, but fruit right through until October (supposedly).  The others will hopefully start up next month, and go for about 3 months non-stop (again, supposedly).  They're pretty tasty, although I've never really liked strawberries.  I just like the colour and their ease of growing.


One of them has red flowers which I've never seen before.  The strawberries on that one are coming in now, so we'll see whether they taste any different.  I'm interested to see what the difference in fruit will be between the different varieties, and whether the distinctions are the growing seasons and colour alone.


We had an entire week off last week, which afforded me the opportunity to take a couple of fishing days.  Honestly, I spent way too long outside instead of studying, but I got a fish, so it was (maybe) worth it.  I spent one day, during the day, catching nothing but a sunburn.  As I was heading home I noticed an absolute ton of activity in the water, so made a note to come back the next day around that time.  It really picks up around 6PM here, to the point where I was constantly getting nibbles from around 6.30 onwards.  I suspect I was seeing a lot of smaller fish picking at the bait, because the float would never fully submerge, it would just bobble a little.  As before, the fish I caught monstered the bait.  In doing so it must have scared something else because there was a lot of fuss at the surface when the float disappeared.  It was a good fight, with a couple of dives at the end to try and keep away from the edge.

my shoes are around 30-35cm long, for comparison.  Caught with some kind of shellfish innards, maybe a cockle or something.

It was some kind of catfish, but which kind is still up for debate.  I'm going to take proper pictures next time, to try and get a verifiable identification.  I'm also going to buy a net and mat, or something to act as a mat.  The netting here was as good as anything to rest the fish on, but I got very wet pulling it out.  Also, look how fat this thing is. 


Last thing for this update - mystery plant.  The scale is off in this picture, but this plant is in an enormous pot, around 50 or 60 litres I think.  If I reveal any of the particulars of how I've prepared it, you'd probably guess what it is, so all I'm giving you is this picture.  I'm pretty excited, although I honestly have no idea how it will do.

I've got about 6 or 7 completely different plants on the go, with a couple of insect attracting varieties, so I'm really, really hoping there will be enough insectoid competition to keep the stuff that killed my melons at bay. 

There really isn't much chance of that, but I can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment