Monday 30 April 2018

I caught a fish!

Before I start, there are a couple of things I should point out.  Firstly, I never thought I'd ever actually catch a fish, so I didn't have a net.  I had to lean over the edge and pull it out by the mouth and tail, which isn't great.  I made sure I didn't just support all the weight by the mouth though, so that probably wasn't particularly harmful to the fish.

Secondly, because I never thought I'd ever actually catch a fish, I don't have a mat.  I put it on the grass, but it was half grass and half concrete.  Definitely not great for the fish.

Thirdly, I was shaking so much after hauling it out, that it took ages to get the hook out.  It barely nibbled the hook, so getting it out should have been a piece of cake.  Unfortunately it took ages.  I'll definitely be better about it next time.

Luckily, I pulled out a catfish.  They are hardly dainty, and this one swam off with great haste once it was back in the water.

Two hand lengths
From head to the tip of the tail was about two hand lengths.  I have literally no idea how much it weighed, and I have no idea what a decent sized fish is around these parts.  I just checked, and it was probably a smidge under 40cm.  I caught it on spam, which was a real bastard to keep on the hook.  Next time I'll take a smorgasbord of disgusting and smelly nonsense that humans would never want to eat, just like spam, to throw in instead.

The river was incredibly active, with (I would guess) at least 3 different types of fish all flopping about on the surface.  No idea what any of them were, but they were going strong until at least 10.30 pm.  They all seem to love spam.  I had probably half a dozen enormous bites, but I wasn't quick enough to haul in more than the one fish.

Exceptionally happy with the one fish, having offered up a float, weight and 15 metres of line to Poseidon earlier in the day.

The score so far:  Water Gods 5, me 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment