Friday 28 October 2016

Advertising

It's been a while since I've seen some good old fashioned Japlish when I've been out and about.

I was starting to worry that their robots were coming online, that universal translators had rendered me useless.

Luckily, google has yet to perfect their translation services.

All that trouble

The best part about Japlish is that it's often perfectly understandable, if given a moment.  It's endearing to see just how close the author came to getting it spot on.

Having said that, I don't want to make trouble a lot for whoever designed this thing, but as always, how hard would it have been to check this?

If the Japanese media and old people are to be believed, Japan is swimming in foreigners.  You can't walk ten feet without wading through a sea of the unclean.  So why couldn't the editor for this picture have leaned out of his office window and shouted at any of the passersby?  Odds are that he would have happened upon more foreigners than Japanese, and the chances are that he'd strike upon an english speaker to boot.

Having spoken with a few others it seems Japlish is still rife.  I think my brain is filtering a lot of it out, which is a shame.  I'll have to retrain myself.

Spitting image, down to the mustache


Bonus picture:  I answered an casting call for 'typical Englishman,' and I think they captured my likeness perfectly.  What makes this better is that it's the British Council cynically preying on the local public.  For shame!

(No one tell anyone outside of Europe that this is a hundred years out of date - I'm pretty sure our tourism industry would collapse overnight)

No comments:

Post a Comment